[c-nsp] HWIC-1ADSL-M

Alex Pimperton alex at erus.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 03:38:11 EDT 2009

> On Thu Sep 03, 2009 at 07:16:27PM +0100, Alex Pimperton wrote:
> > Reading through the specs for the above card Cisco mentions not
> supporting
> > "UK Mask".
> >
> > Does this mean the card doesn't work for ADSL-M (Seemingly often
> branded as
> > SDSL-M) in the UK?
>
> ADSL and SDSL are two very different things. HWIC-1ADSL-M will do
> ADSL2+, but
> probably not SDSL.

I'm aware that it's ADSL 2+ underneath but some providers (Spitfire,
Nildram) are marketing their ADSL Annex-M products as "SDSL (M)", presumably
because of the symmetrical upload/download, and the fact that it sounds like
SDSL, which business are already familiar with.

> > We're looking at getting some SDSL-M circuits to see what they're
> like, from
> > Spitfire and Nildram (Tiscali), anybody using either HWIC-1ADSL-M or
> C877-M
> > with those providers Annex M services?
>
> We sell ADSL2+ services in the UK using Be/O2 LLU tails, and they have
> "approved" bother the HWIC-1ADSL-M and the C877-M for their service.
> I'm using
> a C877-M right now.

Thanks Simon, I saw mention of the C877-M on the BE UserGroup website but no
specific mention of Annex-M products on the (colourful) BE website.

Anybody else using Cisco kit at the end of an Annex-M tail from another
provider?

Cheers,

Alex

dangerous content by AxTech, and is