[c-nsp] OT - Dark Fiber

jp jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Fri Sep 4 11:29:48 EDT 2009

We are an ISP and lease fiber from other ISP/CLECs and an independent
phone company/CLEC. We have also strung fiber ourselves for short
distances with property owner approval. The fiber "owner" has to pay
municipal taxes and pole rental fees, and construction can be expensive,
so expect to have both MRC and NRC, unless the NRC is amortized into the
MRC. The local bell is almost always cost prohibitive or unavailable
unless you a re CLEC and then "almost always" changes to "likely".

Regarding the topic... If someone provides dark fiber, would they be
subject to CALEA requirements to be able to tap and record the
transmission? As an ISP, I know the LEAs would come to me rather than
the fiber provider, so that has never been a concern to my fiber
providers that I know of. How do providers of dark fiber handle
non-ISP/Telecom customers with regards to CALEA compliance capabilities?

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:27:32PM -0400, chris at lavin-llc.com wrote:
> I was curious to know if there are different ways to go about
> purchasing dark fiber. If you have Site A and Site B only a few miles
> apart and you're happy to provide the light, how do you get the fiber?
> Not expecting to obtain right-of-way/permits/ditch digger. Do you
> lease (meaning paying a MRC) or is it 'purchased' (meaning a NRC)?
>
> Thanks,
> -chris

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/