[c-nsp] MPLS-TE and bandwidth reservation

victor vitya at list.ru
Tue Sep 8 12:42:55 EDT 2009

Hello

I'm experimenting with MPLS-TE and have a question about reservation of
the bandwidth on an interface. It's more or less clear that each tunnel
can receive the necessary bandwidth and that it is consequently subtracted
 from the overall bandwidth configured for the interface. Therefore there
can only be a finite number of TE-tunnels going through an interface. My
question is: What will happen if I run a generic IP traffic over this
interface in addition to  MPLS-TE tunnels? How will this IP flow affect
creation of new TE tunnels? What will have higher priority (or what will
be dropped/rerouted first) when the interface bandwidth reaches it's max
physical capacity?
It seems that with an abundance of information about MPLS I can't find
neither exact answer to these questions nor the algorithm behind this
particular process so any references to  white-papers, books, etc are
greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Victor.