[c-nsp] Catalyst vs. Nexus

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Fri Sep 11 08:57:40 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:36:23AM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> It's also worth emphasising that JunOS has a consistent cross-platform
> API for configuring their devices, and has done for a long while now.
>
> Cisco's (embryonic) efforts seem to be falling firmly into the "one XML
> schema per device, but you can tunnel them all over netconf!"
>
> I am not amused.

To be fair, JUNOS has its share of warts here.  They split up
namespaces by JUNOS revision.  Since the XML namespace is considered
as part of the name of the tag, this means that though they have
consistent schemata, their tags are named differently between
versions.

Getting some XML handling tools to go through the gyrations to look
for "junos-interface" and not "junos93:junos-interface" and
"junos94:junos-interface" has been difficult for me - especially when
it's clear that they are the same kind of thing.  It's especially
annoying when the new version introduces no new sematics.

I don't honestly have any idea what the right approach is.  I've heard
rumors that JUNOS is moving away from versioned tags in v10 or 11, but
I don't know if I should believe that.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie