[c-nsp] Download manager hell and latest Windows VPN Client?

Brian Landers brian at bluecoat93.org
Thu Sep 24 10:09:34 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> I really can't understand what is so hard about FTP access.
>
> Fill in a web form once, claim "yes, I'm no terrorist!", and then the
> FTP servers put you into a "he's no terrorist, may download crypto
> software" group...
>
> This is really "Internet 0.9" knowledge.

Unfortunately, I doubt it's Cisco saying "we must stop terrorists from
downloading strong encryption" and more the DoJ (or really the Commerce
Department) saying "you must do X, Y, and Z when providing downloads of
products with crypto or we'll sue you into oblivion."

Same reason that e.g. Vandyke requires an eligibility declaration before
downloading SecureCRT.

--
Brian C Landers
http://www.packetslave.com/