[c-nsp] Download manager hell and latest Windows VPN Client?

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 02:52:05 EDT 2009

Justin Shore wrote:

> I've been in situations where I had to download an IOS image with the el
> cheapo browser in my data phone that does not have Java support, save it
> to the MicroSD card and then use a card reader to transfer that to my
> laptop so I could fix a critical network issue.  Java isn't a universal
> way of leveling the playing field.  It's the bastion of lazy programmers
> and buzzword-loving PHBs.

I prepared a set of links on an internal Wiki page to IOS images for a
new datacentre I am planning.  The idea was that one of my team can
download the images when they are ready.  Guess what doesn't work at all
now?  That's right - I have to go back and redo the work, and the team
member needs to go hunt down the right IOS.

Javascript is one thing, but full-blown Java is wholly unnecessary.  I
notice Dell.com have a 'download manager' now - but why?  What is wrong
with a simple HTTP download without all this extra faff?

Peter