[c-nsp] Mixing PFC3B and DFC3A with 10G linecards / 6500

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Apr 3 09:23:46 EDT 2010

On 2010-04-03 11:00, Gert Doering wrote:

> As far as I understand, there is no performance difference, but the
> PFC3A is buggy regarding MPLS.  So you lose MPLS support.
> (There might be other caveats - I don't have a conclusive list, all I've
> heard so far is "PFC3A is bad, use PFC3B").

>From top of my head:

- L2 multicast bridging won't work with MTU/TTL rate limiter
- the hash efficency for NetFlow is at 50%, so with PFC3A you get
  around 64k entries, not like in PFC3B around 110k entries
- only 512 ACL labels, compared with 4096 for PFC3B
- no ACL hit counters
- no support for L2 classification of IP packets
- QoS on tunnel interfaces done in software vs in hardware for
  PFC3B
- no MPLS at all (only with OSMs/FlexWANs)
- VRF Select not supported
- no multicast in VPNs

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
 If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net