[c-nsp] bgp maximum-paths

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Wed Apr 14 20:56:04 EDT 2010

On 4/14/10 2:48 PM, "Chris Gotstein" <chris at uplogon.com> wrote:

> It's inbound i'm mostly concerned with.  I'm taking full routes from
> both providers.  Paths to both a relatively equal, so the path with the
> lowest ID is winning, causing it to be overloaded.
>
> ---- ---- ---- ----
> Chris Gotstein, Sr Network Engineer, UP Logon/Computer Connection UP
> http://uplogon.com | +1 906 774 4847 | chris at uplogon.com

Ugh.  There aren't very many subtle ways to do inbound shaping.  The hammer
approach is as-path prepend, and you could do it more granularly via
route-maps.  As an example, match access-list 100 prepend once, match
access-list 200, prepend twice, etc.

Another way to approach it is to ask your upstream providers if they have
communities you can match to set their local preference on your behalf.

If you're email is your AS, then it looks like you have Qwest and a more
local provider.

Qwest communities can be found at http://onesc.net/communities/as209/.  I
don't see a listing for AS46208 so you may have to ask them.

Regards,

Mike