[c-nsp] 10G Ethernet Module

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Apr 27 07:01:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 08:48:40PM -0500, Tony Varriale wrote:
> From: "Gert Doering" <gert at greenie.muc.de>
>
> >(Regarding your question, I can't say.  We decided to go for 6500
> >chassis and SX* IOS - to eventually get software modularity...
>
> And how's that working out for you?

Well.

 - positive points: SXH/SXI seems to have less exciting and amazing bugs
   than the SR* series.  Most of the releases "just work" for us, even
   though we hit some esoteric bugs every now and the.

 - positive points: LAN cards "just work for us"

 - we have only lab-tested SXI-modular so far, and it seemed to be
   well-behaving - bit I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of visible
   progress here, as in "no more patches" and "the modularity is not
   *that* modular at all yet, with CDPd being the outstanding example of
   an IOS process being made its own stand-alone routing daemon".

 - negative points: RSP720 has a much faster CPU, and that's something
   where the Sup720(-10G) could need some improvement...

Overall, we feel that *for us*, 6500+SX software has been the right
decision.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de