[c-nsp] LAM / Mobile IP in modern times

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 04:35:19 EDT 2010

David Freedman <david.freedman at uk.clara.net> wrote:

> Had the idea of testing LAM to support an application without resorting to
> inter-datacenter bridging(*) (Vmotion in this case) ,
>
> Astonished to find the documentation old and out of date, coupled with a
> lack of vrf support (no "redistribute mobile" in the VRF BGP context) ,
>
> Can't seem to find anything suggesting a feature which could quite easily be
> a superb alternative to bridging is even remotely vrf aware.
>
> Any advice/pointers appreciated.

I was toying with the idea internally of putting a tiny OSPF router into
our VM cluster to drag IP's from one side of our organisation to the
other.

I then found out that our consultants had decided to deploy for us a two
site with two node configuration where A|B where on one site, C|D on the
other...but you could not do any (A|B)<->(C|D) migration *sigh* :-/

You could actually put the OSPF daemon on the UNIX guests themselves but
for Windows guests, you used to be able to use OSPF with Windows, but
apparently (news to me) OSPF is not used much in the industry according
to Microsoft I guess you could use RIP.

I'm thinking of OSPF across two subnets on a trunk link to your guest.
On one VM node one of the VLAN's goes to no where so there are no OSPF
(or RIP, yay) neighbours, on the other, the other VLAN is the blackhole.
The guest then advertises it's 'service' IP to it's OSPF neighbours and
things should work.

That's how I would do things.  No silly over-engineered datacenter
bridging technologies, no over priced licencing needing to be forked out
for, etc etc.  Of course that's with OSPF on a 'small' scale, but I
guess you could feed that into a iBGP advertisement.

The only remaining question is why for it's money have VMWare not done
the trivial task of making OSPF part of their VMotion malarkey...*sigh*

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: An avocado-tone refrigerator would look good on your resume.