[c-nsp] What is the ETSI DSS1 Signaling?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Aug 14 05:18:59 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 03:02:55AM +0000, Felix Nkansah wrote:
> I need to connect some voice E1 cables to some equipment that is said to
> support only DSS1 signaling.
>
> I want to clarify if DSS1 is the same as ISDN PRI?

DSS1 is the signalling for ISDN in europe (not the physical standard, but
the protocol signalled on the ISDN D channel).

Wikipedia says that this is also called "net3" on BRI and "net5" on PRI
(which is what you'll see in "isdn switch-type ..." config on cisco),
but it's still DSS1...

So: DSS1 is *not* the same as "ISDN PRI", but on an ISDN PRI, one of the
possible D-Channel signalling protocols could be DSS1.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de