[c-nsp] Cat6500 modular IOS - direction?

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Aug 28 12:37:42 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-28 17:41, andrea montefusco wrote:

> To me the true story is another one: cisco is not able to do a real
> modular IOS (not counting the VM system in N as modular)

You're of course wrong. IOS-XR is example of 'real modular IOS'.
ION for 6500 was executed quite succesfully, the problem is there's
little installed base (out of close to 2 million of 6500 in use, which
means propably there are currently more ION users than entire number
of modular switches some competitors managed to sell in total) of
users willing to stay with it, so it seems that the current/future HA
features of monolithic IOS are OK for most of the current installed
base of 6500 users.

Yes, ION had a lot of problems 'for starters', because the very
fundamentals of the ION were a bold departure from the architecture of
IOS. But there are some specific architectural points that can't be
either easily or not at all fixed with software, that's why Nexus 7k
was born as a DC-oriented switch, with fabric separation from the RPs
(and zillion other features), and the load on the 6500 platform to be
'one for all' deployments was lessened.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net