[c-nsp] Recommendation request for gateway router specs

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Aug 30 16:42:09 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 13:30 -0600, Nick Voth wrote:
> Gig E connections (fiber and copper) to 2 separate upstream networks
> 1 or 2 Gig E connections back to our LAN
[...]
> I'm most familiar with the 7206 VXR series, but that seems like over
> kill for this solution.

I wouldn't call a 7206VXR "overkill" for a couple of GE connections, at
least not if you expect to exercise these. I you don't need line rate
and have a NPE-G1 og G2 at hand it might fit the bill though.

Placing one of the at the end of a GE pipe from an upstream might not be
a good idea if you don't like being DoS'ed. :-)

> Anyone have any general recommendations or guidance you'd be willing
> to share?

You can probably expect a torrent of people recommending the ASR1k. I
have no experience with it, so I'll keep quiet.

A Sup720 (6500/7600) with -XL PFCs/DFCs could do the job, but >that<
might be overkill.

--
Peter