[c-nsp] RES: Outbound Load balancing using eBGP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Dec 23 12:19:08 EST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 01:41:34PM -0200, Leonardo Gama Souza wrote:
> There is an approach of matching on LSB from the prefixes' octets of the
> full routing table (even/odd) and increase local-preference for one
> provider.

We have stopped using local-pref for outbound traffic control about
15 years ago.

If you start going there, you will end being *stuck* there - having to
fiddle with local-pref again and again, because inevitably, you will have
cases where you prefer a 10-AS-hop-paths over a 2-AS-hop-paths, and that
way, enforce poor connectivity for your users.

(As a well-known net person tends to say "I encourage my competitors to
do this".  Amen.)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de