[c-nsp] Cisco Catalyst 6509-E 4000w P/S

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Dec 29 22:25:09 EST 2010

On 12/29/10 5:14 PM, Terry Rupeni wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We just bought a new 6509-E with 4000w P/S. The specs say it requires a 23
> A/240V Input is this the max input current permissible? We have an existing
> 6KVA UPS with output of 16A max. I've used the Cisco Power Calculator and
> with all the current cards install it will use a max of 1800w way below the
> 4000w mark. Can I go ahead and use this 16A UPS to power on the our Cisco
> 6509-E or do I need a 23A/240V Input?

The 4k PS requires a high range input, 170-264V I believe.  If you feed
it high-range voltage, it'll pull the current necessary to run your
system.  If 16A is sufficient at the voltage you're feeding it, rock on.
  If 16A is insufficient, you'll have issues.

That said, I just witnessed an install two weeks ago where the building
electrical was corroded (or worse), and the brand new UPS was only
seeing 89V across a 240V feed.  The old UPS was so dead it was in
hardware bypass, yet the 4kw PSes had been running like champs.

pt