[c-nsp] what is it with 3550s?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Feb 3 15:50:35 EST 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Eric Van Tol wrote:

>> Yes, the 3550 has no *hardware* support for IPv6 routing. End of story.
>>
>> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no
>
> Yes, this is true.  But what was said was, "You're not going to see IPv6
> routing support on the 3550 AFAIK."  I wouldn't turn it on unless your
> v6 traffic is extremely minimal, but it does support it.  Just not well.

I didn't think we would at all.  Having it software switched on a 3550
probably means you can "do IPv6" in as much as just giving a v6 address to
an SVI for management purposes, or for use in low bandwidth lab setups.
IPv6 layer 3 ports for customers wanting to push much data isn't likely to
work too well.