[c-nsp] Roadmap questions reqarding various IPv6 features

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Fri Feb 19 07:54:07 EST 2010

Hello,

as our SE has been unable to answer our questions regarding the IPv6
roadmap for 2960 and 3560 switches, maybe someone on this list can help
out.

The setup:

Student Dormitory Network
- one IPv4 Address per appartment
- appartment==IPv4==Port Quota via Netflow(v9)
  from central device (option 82)
- no way for a user to use a different IPv4
  than the assigned one (IPSG)
- no MAC-Addr registration
- Hardware:
  central aggregation: 6500 / SUP720
  one 3560 as local router, L2 bondary, and some access-ports
  multiple 2960 switches directly and cascaded connected to router
IPv4 solution:
- DHCP-Snooping + DAI + IPSG
- DHCP IP-Address assignment using Option82
  remote-id + port-info extracted from circuit-id

We would like to implement something like that with IPv6.
Essential features that are missing in IPv6 right now:

1) option 82 support
2) RA-guard (or IPv6 port acls on 2960)
3) DHCPv6 snooping
4) equivalent to DAI (ND-Filtering based on DHCPv6 snooping)
5) IPv6 source guard

While I'a at it, a question regarding IPv6 on the WiSM:
1) Is there / will there be any ra-guard feature? This missing feature
   causes about 200000 DHCPv6 requests per hour, compared to 4000 DHCPv4.
2) MLD-snooping

So if anyone on this list knows about Cisco's plans regarding any of these
features, please share.

Thanks
      Joerg
--