[c-nsp] BGP - Announcing routes to Internet providers.

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Tue Jan 5 02:30:27 EST 2010

Let's back a step and ask the questions we should have been asking in the first place:

* Are you an end-user or a Service Provider (somewhat reliable answer could be gleaned from Drew's e-mail address)?
* What's the size of your network?
* How many uplinks do you have?
* How far apart are your uplinks?

If it turns out Drew's uplinks are close together, all the beautiful design ideas presented here are a huge overkill.

And, BTW, I wish those of you that propose redistributing connected and static routes into BGP a huge budget you'll need to upgrade RAM and TCAM of your routers/switches when everyone decides (after reading this mailing list :) that following your recommendations unconditionally is a good idea :D

Ivan