[c-nsp] PXE not working on Cat2948

Jens Neu jens.neu at biotronik.com
Fri Jan 8 08:04:05 EST 2010

Der all,

I have a Catalyst 2948G which seems to keep PXE boot from working
properly. This one Cat2948 is the only Layer 2 device between the DHCP/PXE
boot server and the PXE client - both are directly connected and share a
/24. PXE boot is not working at all, and DHCP is unbearably slow, for no
apparent reason. Both PXE Server and Client(s) are various IBM xSeries
using the onboard GBit interfaces.
Now the fun stuff: when I put a second Layer 2 device between the Cat 2948
and the PXE client, it is magically working.
Means: PXE Server -> Cat 2948 -> "some cheap Netgear Office switch" -> PXE
Client == works. In fact, any additional Layer 2 device that appears
between PXE Client and the Cat 2948 scares the problem away.

Anyone seen this before? Any hints where to start looking? The switch
looks as follows:

WS-C2948 Software, Version NmpSW: 8.4(11)GLX
Copyright (c) 1995-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
NMP S/W compiled on Apr 27 2006, 12:46:44
GSP S/W compiled on Apr 27 2006, 11:47:52

System Bootstrap Version: 6.1(4)

Hardware Version: 2.5  Model: WS-C2948  Serial #: JAE061500JB

Mod Port Model              Serial #              Versions
--- ---- ------------------ --------------------
---------------------------------
1   0    WS-X2948           JAE061500JB          Hw : 2.5
                                                 Gsp: 8.4(11.0)
                                                 Nmp: 8.4(11)GLX
2   50   WS-C2948G          JAE061500JB          Hw : 2.5

       DRAM                    FLASH                   NVRAM
Module Total   Used    Free    Total   Used    Free    Total Used  Free
------ ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----- ----- -----
1       65536K  37349K  28187K  12288K  10648K   1640K  480K   85K  395K

best regards!

Jens Neu

Phone: +49 (0) 30 68905-2412
Mail: jens.neu at biotronik.de

www.biotronik.com

BIOTRONIK SE & Co. KG
Woermannkehre 1, 12359 Berlin, Germany
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Berlin HRA 6501

Vertreten durch ihre Komplementärin:
BIOTRONIK MT SE
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Berlin HRB 118866 B
Vorsitzender des Verwaltungsrats: Dr. Max Schaldach
Geschäftsführende Direktoren: Christoph Böhmer, Dr. Werner Braun, Dr.
Lothar Krings

BIOTRONIK - A global manufacturer of advanced Cardiac Rhythm Management
systems and Vascular Intervention devices. Quality, innovation, and
reliability define BIOTRONIK and our growing success. We are innovators of
technologies like the first wireless remote monitoring system - Home
Monitoring®, Closed Loop Stimulation and coveted lead solutions as well as
state-of-the-art stents, balloons and guide wires for coronary and
peripheral indications. We highly invest in the development of drug
eluting devices and are leading the industry with our bioabsorbable metal
stent program.

This e-mail and the information it contains including attachments are
confidential and meant only for use by the intended recipient(s);
disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited. If you are not addressed,
but in the possession of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the document.