[c-nsp] IOS, IOS-XR and RANCID

Per Carlson perc69 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:32:16 EST 2010

Hi.

> We have a network composed by Cisco equipment running IOS and IOS-XR.
> We run RANCID to manage/backup our configurations.
>
> Is anybody has experience on this software with both versions (IOS and
> IOS-XR)? We have difficulties to integrate both versions simultaneously in
> the same RANCID process (problem of "user" and "admin" mode execution)

Instead of trying to fix the existing IOS module, I created a new one
specific for IOS XR. The patch is avaliable through the RANCID
mailinglist, see:
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2009-November/004385.html

Features in this module are:
* Auto-enabled is default on XR devices (no more tweaking of the .clogin file)
* Time-stamps are disabled before extracting data (times-stamps are
default on since 3.8)
* Commands are run both from user and admin modes

--
Pelle