[c-nsp] MPLS VPN Running BGP w/ failover IPSec VPN Over Internet

Luan Nguyen luan at netcraftsmen.net
Tue Jan 26 18:44:29 EST 2010

What's the topology?  One CPE terminating MPLS and IPSEC tunnel? If this is
the case, then if at one site MPLS goes down, it starts to use IPSEC tunnel,
when packets get to the other side, the default route to MPLS VPN is still
there so packets will get routed back into the MPLS cloud. You need more
specific routes advertised so that when MPLS lost, it will withdraw the
route and IPSEC will kick in.  Just a default won't work unless you'll be
doing some creative conditional advertising in the BGP or some fancy EEM
scripting...or maybe using ip sla to withdraw route...which might be a
little more complicated than need be.

Even with specific routes, you still have lots of decision to make like
whether to switch everything to use IPSEC tunnels once just ONE MPLS
connection goes down or only that site.  Then you have to make sure not
running into asymmetric routing...etc.
With GNS3/Dynagen, you could probably test this whole thing out in your
labtop.

Luan Nguyen
Chesapeake NetCraftsmen, LLC.
[Web] http://www.netcraftsmen.net