[c-nsp] MPLS vs CEF

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jul 1 15:17:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> I'm curious about something. Let's say a company has a large internal
>> network that needs to move a lot of data quickly on a regular basis,
>> but just within the enterprise. If they already have CEF enabled on
>> all routers, is there any performance gain to be had by then enabling
>> MPLS and switching based on labels instead of using CEF alone?
>
> Short and simple answer: No.

What about 7600 and re-circulation? I don't remember exactly what is what,
but wouldn't there be cases where you'd get 15Mpps with regular CEF and
30Mpps with label switching (LSR) ?

There is definitely an advantage while doing 6PE compared to regular
CEF-switching on GSR with engine2, 4 and 6 linecards (LSR again).

But generally I agree that there is little reason to go MPLS...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se