[c-nsp] MPLS vs CEF

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jul 1 12:14:30 EDT 2010

On Thursday 01 July 2010 11:26:56 pm John Neiberger wrote:

> That's kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. I
>  don't have any production experience with MPLS yet. It
>  seemed to me that if no other MPLS features were going
>  to be used, there would be no point in enabling it.

I'd have to agree.

Enabling MPLS for its own sake isn't terribly useful. The
initial concept of its development (faster forwarding) was
novel, but times changed real quick, to put it mildly :-).

The only reason we've "probably" seen to enable MPLS without
any of the advanced features is to remove IPv4 BGP routes
from the core, if that is something anyone can find useful.
But remember, you'd still need those routes at the edge so
that FEC's can be created (LDP) to allow forwarding in an
otherwise unintelligent core.

Other than that, and in the absence of typical MPLS-based
applications, not much use to turn it up.

Cheers,

Mark.