[c-nsp] C3750E routing jumbo frames

David DeSimone fox at verio.net
Thu Jul 8 15:45:10 EDT 2010

Artyom Viklenko <artem at aws-net.org.ua> wrote:

> Can you show output of 'sh int gi1/0/9'?
> What MTU you see in it?

MTU looks correct:

GigabitEthernet1/0/9 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is xxxx.xxxx.xxxx (bia xxxx.xxxx.xxxx)
  MTU 9000 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output 00:00:01, output hang never
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
     43906882 packets input, 51922635816 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 78 broadcasts (0 multicasts)
     0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
     35639936 packets output, 10247979705 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

> IMHO, you need mtu command in interface config.

For our 6500's this is true, "mtu 9000" is needed in the interface
config.  However, Our 3500's and 3700's do not accept this command.
They appear to derive the MTU from the VLAN membership.

I will be deploying a new router next week, so I will get yet another
chance to confront this issue.  Confirmed that the new router does show
the 'system mtu routing 9000' in its preconfigured state, so I'll see
what happens after we connect the first servers to it.

David DeSimone == Network Admin == fox at verio.net
  "I don't like spinach, and I'm glad I don't, because if I
   liked it I'd eat it, and I just hate it." -- Clarence Darrow

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio, Inc. makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.