[c-nsp] (off-topic?) Firefox & ubuntu & CPU issues when entering at tools.cisco.com to see the SRs

LM asturluismi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 07:39:37 EDT 2010

Well, first of all sorry if this email is considered an off-topic subject.
In the other hand I can't see a better place to talk about this.

I use ubuntu 10.04 64bits, firefox 3.6.6 and java 6.20.

I enter at tools.cisco.com to manage the SRs and when I entered in one
of them the firefox lauchs java because the Cisco guys configured
something in the background to work with java (upload file form as an
example).

Issues with this...
- CPU goes up -and also the temp of the laptop :-/- because the java
makes firefox to demmand a lot of CPU. I took note about it because with
just one tab getting access to tools.cisco.com I got that behaviour, the
rest of the webpages I use to use don't have this behaviour in my laptop.

- Quickjava add-on for firefox doesn't work in my laptop so I dont know
how to avoid to load java in that website

- Noscript add-on for firefox gives me more problems than solutions

Solution/Workaround:
- Kill firefox process and start again, loosing all the tabs and
sometimes sessions... :-/ Horrible experience.
- Use Opera, so far it is working ok.

So, my questions to share here...
Is there anyone here having the same problems? or at least similar?
Is there anyone here from Cisco who could forward this to the proper
persons as feedback?
Is there anyway to avoid java in the site tools.cisco.com to avoid my
firefox to become unstable?

PD: I have issues with JAVA and Webex too x-DDDD but I think it is
because java here is 64bits and it is not webex friendly. Anyway I use a
VM to avoid problems.