[c-nsp] 3560G-E's as replacement for 3550-EMIs for dist switches?

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Wed Jul 14 10:41:18 EDT 2010

We are using a boatload of aging 3550-EMI switches (-48s and -12Ts mostly) as
our distribution layer in our Co-lo facilities.  The switches talk a little bit
of OSPF and iBGP back to the core (uplinked over the 2 Gig-E ports).  All
customers have their own Layer3 port on the switch (no switchport) and this has
worked like a charm for years.

Anyway, these switches are EOL'ed and do not support IPv6, yada yada.  So, we're
looking for a reasonably low cost replacement.  So far, the 3560G-24/48-E's look
like decent replacements and are readily available from our usual sources.  The
3750's look nice too but seem quite a bit pricier for just adding stacking/10GBe
uplink capabilities.

Any comments/similar experiences/other options would be appreciated.

--Mike