[c-nsp] Brief CPU spikes on 6500 Sup 720

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 14 11:16:45 EDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Phil Mayers wrote:

>> mac-address-table aging-time 14400
>>
>> http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=336872
>
> Or of course drop the ARP timeout:
>
> int VlanX
>  arp timeout 290

I haven't tracked down the exact issue, but we've seen issues when using
too short an arp timeout on a 6500 vlan interface.  Sometimes customers
will ask for really short arp timeouts to cope with failover systems that
change an IPs MAC address.

The vlan in question had an arp timeout of 60s and had a couple of KVM
servers with 100 or so virtual machines.  Especially when a large number
of VMs started up, we'd see periods of packet loss.  My assumption is that
the sup720-3bxl can only handle so much arp activity on a vlan.  There was
nothing in the config to artificially limit arp traffic.