[c-nsp] routing between VRF and global

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Wed Jul 28 09:58:56 EDT 2010

Conceptually, yes, true.

Unfortunately, you can't do this on a 6500 (or presumably a 7600).

I had a nice chat with the appropriate group in TAC (in RTP, NC, US) on
the topic. Short summary:

"mpls ip" and "ip nat [inside|outside]" should never be applied to the
same interface. This is a fundamental limitation of the PFC hardware -
MPLS and NAT require different switching paths through the PFC, and They
Just Can't Make The Two Work Together Reliably (apparently not for a
lack of trying).

similarly, MPLS and PBR also don't play nicely together, supposedly.

It's vaguely documented deep in the release notes somewhere as an
obscure reference - I found it but can't remember where exactly.  The
feature certainly doesn't exist within the 12.2SX config manual. (All
part of the fun of Cisco IOS on 6500/7600 vs "real routers" - here's a
feature, but does it actually exist?)

(It begs the question - if you shouldn't be doing it, why does IOS let
you configure it in the first place? I suppose the answer is "because it
kinda works sometimes", and my situation is not part of those
sometimes.)

This would tend to limit one's options.

I would be interested in hearing counterexamples.

-bacon