[c-nsp] Building a Route-Server

Ole Martin Eide oleide at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 06:21:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

Recently we built a walled garden solution where the box needed to
peer with a couple of hundred Juniper boxes. I did testing with quagga
0.99.15 and bird. Finally I gave up both and went with perls Net::BGP.

The reason for giving up quagga being an fsm race condition that seems
solved in 0.99.16, but at the time of testing I used 0.99.15:
http://code.quagga.net/?p=quagga.git;a=commitdiff;h=6e1992638864c3847d35bf9442989bce4c81de13;hp=2b2fc5606f035eabd322b3a6aad4349efb9ab542

There was also another mishap with both bird and quagga that I failed
to track down. If I remember correctly it was working when I set one
end up as passive. Time was running out for me, so I went with perl.

Quagga 0.99.16 seems promising, but it might be safer to go with
bird/openbgpd since it's used at ixes (eg should be working).

Another neat thing about using Net::BGP is that you can customize the
route server a good deal. Please note however, that Net::BGP does not
fork, so your callbacks must be very fast in order to avoid timeouts.
You could of course also just modify it to do a fork per peer.

Ole Martin