[c-nsp] CRS-1 MSC utilization

Per Carlson pelle at hemmop.com
Tue Jun 15 06:59:47 EDT 2010

Hi.

> We are using the 8 port 10GE PLIMs which are 2:1 oversubscribed.

The oversubscription of the 8-10GE PLIM is rather complicated. Some of
the forwarding paths are restricted by bps, others by pps. This means
you must be very careful selecting ports if you tries to avoid
contention. Here's a good CCO document describing the internals of the
PLIM: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5763/products_tech_note09186a0080772675.shtml#plimover

> As we have primarily outbound traffic (hosting) we use half the ports
> for inbound (from servers/DC) and half for outbound (to internet)
> traffic.

If you choose the wrong ports for inbound/outbound, you might still
have internal contention.

--
Pelle