[c-nsp] RSP720-3C-10GE with daughter card = RSP720-3CXL-10GE?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 10:19:09 EDT 2010

On 24/06/10 14:53, Frédéric LOUI wrote:
> In our lab setup, we have 2 full internet feeds (IPv4 / IPv6) thus ~
> 670000 + v6 prefixes Netflow v9 is working without any issue so far
> (without sampling). However we did not test netflow v9 with MPLS
> features.

Sampling on the PFC/DFC platforms probably doesn't do what you want it
to do. It still captures all flows; just only exports a subset. This
saves neither TCAM nor significant CPU at the export side.

> According to my technical representative, on 8x10GE card with 3CXL,
> NDE is handled by the linecard itself (i.e de-centralized NDE instead
> of centralized NDE from the main RSP board) Not sure about " 4x10GE
> card upgraded with 3CXL" though

Under most conditions, DFC-equipped linecards export the netflow themselves.

There are some conditions where the netflow PDUs have to be
post-processed by the RP. Amongst others, if you want source/dest AS
numbers in the flows, these are added in software by the RP, eliminating
the benefits of distributed NDE.

> I'd be happy to have some REAL figures regarding MPLS aware netflow
> with 760x/3CXL :-)

Figures about what?

Also, be aware that DFC/PFC platforms (until recently) only generate
flows for packets which ingress as plain IPv4. MPLS LSPs don't generate
netflow, either in label-swap or label pop.

This may mean you only see flows at the ingress PE.

There is a feature in some releases (e.g. SXI4 for 6500/sup720, which is
basically the same underlying hardware) which claims to do "egress mpls
netflow", where flows are generated for final label-pop i.e. on egress
PEs too. It didn't seem to work when I tried it.

This may all be very different if 7600 WAN cards are in the mix.