[c-nsp] 3560 and QoS ?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Jun 25 03:29:49 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 18:53 -0700, joe mcguckin wrote:
> I need to QoS SIP traffic on 60 vlans (per GigE port) on several GiGE
> ports. Can this be done in hardware on the 3560?

Yes.

But "to QoS" can mean many things. If you just need the switch to mark
SIP traffic as EF based on L4 information and give it the preferential
treatment that EF suggests, then no problem. Or if you need to allocate
certain "timeslots" of the transmit on an interface for certain traffic,
also no problem.

The primary limitations of the 3560 you should be aware of:

 - Small buffers IMHO (compared to e.g. the 3550)
 - Limited number of queues; fine for the access role though
 - No "per interface" configuration regarding queueing (but two
"queue-sets" to use)

The last thing is also an advantage though: It makes for easy-ish QoS
configuration, exactly because of the lack of configuration per
interface. In an enterprise access switch you often need the switch to
deliver the same service on every port.

It does it all in hardware. And you can do it for as many VLANs on as
many ports as you like.

--
Peter