[c-nsp] context firewall

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Mar 5 13:21:28 EST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:45:27PM -0500, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> 1. Forget about IPv6 support - the hardware is optimized for v4
> forwarding, and forwarding v6 ends up having to be done software, so the
> performance hit is substantial

I'm not sure if I parse that right.  Is it just "slower hardware path
for v6" or "the hardware does not do v6 at all, and will never do"?

The latter would be an absolute no-go for us today.  Shell out heaps of
money for a product that will be obsolete in two years?  No way.

(Not that I would buy *any* 6500-blade-based solution these days.  The
track record of 6500/7600 BUs lacking and/or dropping support for certain
blades is just too bad to trust them)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de