[c-nsp] Cisco 7201 -- Differences between the 12."2" images and the usual 12.4/15 images?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Mar 8 16:44:43 EST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 03:43:57PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
> >- on the platforms where you have a choice, go to the feature
> >navigator
> >  (http://www.cisco.com/go/fn) and find an IOS version that has all
[..]

> Feature Navigator is unfortunately badly broken.  To see how broken,
> compare features for a 6500 Sup2/MSFC2 IOS 12.2(18)SXF16 with a 7600
> Sup2/MSFC2 IOS 12.2(18)SXF16 with the same feature sets (advanced IP
> services, for instance) (yes, identical versions, identical images).
> The results may shock you.

Yes, for the "stupid BU" IOS images, it is quite broken - and no, it
doesn't shock me.  This is just a side effect of bad decisions (as in
"the status of my business unit inside Cisco is much more important
than my customers") regarding these IOS versions in the very beginning.

For mainstream platforms (7200, not NPE-G2) with mainstream IOS versions
(few letters), I have found it to be quite useful.

[..]
> Also compare the 12.2(33)SRC on the 7200 with the same thing on 7600.

Well, that doesn't surprise me very much - see <rant> :-)

The other examples you've given (7500, 7400) are mostly dead platforms,
and I can accept some lack of exact feature descriptions for dead
platforms...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de