[c-nsp] 6500/Sup720 SXI3 VTY issues

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Thu Mar 11 18:06:27 EST 2010

On 2010-03-11, at 4:47 PM, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 15:13 -0500, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
>> router#show caller
>>                                                Active    Idle
>>  Line           User               Service       Time      Time
>>  vty 1          -                  VTY           00:00:36  00:00:00
>>  vty 2          -                  TTY           -         1d21h
>>  vty 3          -                  TTY           -         2d01h
>>  vty 4          -                  TTY           -         2d01h
> [...]
>
> Does a "show call full" give you any extra information?

Nothing that sticks out at me:

router#show caller line vty 0 full

  User: unknown, line vty 1, service VTY
        Active time 00:06:24, Idle time 00:00:00
  Timeouts:            Absolute  Idle      Idle
                                 Session   Exec
      Limits:          -         -         00:10:00
      Disconnect in:   -         -         00:09:59
  VTY: Line 1, remote 10.2.11.245
  Line: Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600
  Modem State: Ready

router#show caller line vty 2 full

  User: unknown, line vty 3, service TTY
        Idle time 2d03h
  Timeouts:            Absolute  Idle      Idle
                                 Session   Exec
      Limits:          -         00:01:00  00:10:00
      Disconnect in:   -         -         6w5d
  TTY: Line 3
  Line: Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600
  Modem State: Ready, Carrier Dropped

router#

router#show caller line vty 10 full

  User: unknown, line vty 11, service TTY
  Timeouts:            Absolute  Idle      Idle
                                 Session   Exec
      Limits:          -         00:01:00  00:10:00
      Disconnect in:   -         -         00:10:00
  TTY: Line 11
  Line: Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600
  Modem State: Idle

router#

> Would you happen to have any "controller" configuration in your running
> config?

Nope.

> The "TTY" service is supposed to be physical async lines.
>
> Can you access the other VTY lines from another port, via rotary?
>
> line vty 13
>  rotary 1
>  exit
> !
>
> and then "telnet <host> 3001".

No, although even after I disconnected the sole telnet session, which should have allowed me to connect, I still got connection refused.  Perhaps this rotary config isn't complete.  Never done that before, so I don't really know how it is supposed to behave normally.