[c-nsp] Route-Object creation

Andrew Gabriel mailandrewg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 14:53:24 EST 2010

 Need a bit of advice from the folks who work at ISPs or are familiar with
the ARIN setup.

We already have our own ASN and public IP subnets registered to us, and we
have had several sites running BGP with the ISP and also announcing our
subnets out to the Internet, though with a single ISP at each site so far
(this was done in preparation for multi-homing several years ago but we are
only now adding the second ISP).

Now, with the additional/backup ISP, but the same existing subnet that is
already being announced and routed fine with the existing ISPs, do we still
need to create a route-object? I was pretty sure that we didn't as the
subnets already have route-objects done from when we started announcing them
to the existing ISPs, and the route-object to my understanding is done by
ARIN and is ISP-neutral.

However the new ISP (a tier-1 provider, BTW) categorically stated in reply
to my mailed query to them that we still needed to create a route-object. So
I am confused. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
-Andrew.