[c-nsp] IPv6

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Mar 17 06:15:54 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 08:31 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> Peter: your mail server needs IPv6...  puck has (again), since about
> half a year or so, but your mail server delivered over IPv4...

>       by puck.nether.net (8.14.4/8.12.9) with ESMTP id o2GM1tCq084058
>
> "one small step at a time" :-)

Heh, yeah about that... :-)

We don't currently have IPv6 services from our upstream, though they
(Telia) are able to provide it.

Right now our problem is to make the upper layers in our organisation
understand why IPv6 is a good idea. The rise in cost (primarily OpEx),
though being relatively small, is hard to justify to non-technical
management people. (Most of our equipment can handle IPv6 (sort of) but
without training/experience things are going to be more cumbersome and
thus more expensive. And training is expensive.)

The current discussions about policy and "do we have enough address
space", combined with e.g. the spat between Cogent/HE/Telia (cf. NANOG
thread from October 2009) doesn't help. As Patrick Gilmore said about
IPv6: "It either is or is not production ready.".

But in the end there's only us (i.e. me, my colleagues and my employer)
to blame for our lack of using IPv6. I'm not proud of that. :-)

--
Peter