[c-nsp] IPv6

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Mar 17 07:18:02 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 11:55 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> The gain/cost really depends on what your business is.

We the "Central Region Denmark", one of the five regional governments in
Denmark. About 90% of our "business" is health services. We only service
internal customers. This translates to having almost no direct
economical motivation for adopting IPv6. :-(

> > But in the end there's only us (i.e. me, my colleagues and my
> > employer) to blame for our lack of using IPv6. I'm not proud of
> > that. :-)
>
> Point out that your lack of IPv6 has already been made topic of a
> public mailing list already :-)

If only I they cared about that. :-)

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 06:38 -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> Depending on which trend line you follow, you will want to have a plan
> ready as part of your 2011 budget if you're not already there.

One of the "darnest" things about the IPv4 depletion is that existing
things don't stop working when we run out of addresses. Since we have
next to no public facing services (practically only a set of mail
servers) we will probably not feel much.

Maybe if IPv6-only services started appearing, but then again: Almost
all of our network activity is strictly local.

I might sound overly pessimistic, but that's probably because I am. :-)

--
Peter