[c-nsp] Older gear and IPv6

Charles Mills w3yni1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:36:54 EDT 2010

Doing some research for an IPv6 migration "plan".  It is almost
inevitable that it will run on older switch gear at some point for the
sites I'm being tasked with evaluating.

Older Layer 3 gear being what it is I'm already aware does everything
in software if it supports it at all.

What about older layer 2 gear?  Are there any issues there or is a
packet just a packet regardless of the address format?  I can't think
of anything to worry about here unless there are MTU issues.

Are any hardware vendors making IPv6 capable gear that does hardware
switching or are we processed switched for the time being?  This
reminds me of when shared media went the way of the drive in theater
and we started using switch gear and dealing with all of the
associated bugs that took some time to get worked out.

Chuck