[c-nsp] Using L3 switches as CPE

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Mar 25 10:47:26 EDT 2010

On 2010.03.25 10:33, Harold 'Buz' Dale wrote:
> Why mess with VLAN 768 - just give the upstream port the correct ip address and don't use it as a switchport.
> If you only have one uplink and one client/VLAN off of this box then there is really only one route off of that box as well.  I'm not sure I would mess with BGP there.

Technically, this is not a direct physical ptp connection. The fibre is
terminated on a switch in a different building that my PE is in. This
switch terminates clients for myself, and one other ISP.

My PE is connected to that switch over a single pair, in which I trunk
all of my client VLANs to it, and then trunk to each individual client
from there. Also, doing it this way allows me to keep my management
vlans separate from the actual data vlans.

BGP is required (well, it's my preferred method), as most of these
eth-over-fibre clients also have an SDSL connection that terminates back
to a separate PE in the event of a failure in the fibre network (God
forbid).

Essentially, I route a block of my own IP space from the CPE back to
myself, via private AS, preferring the fibre link.

The added benefit to doing it this way is that I can apply strict uRPF
on my PE without worrying about having to do any manual intervention if
one or the other links go down.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm just going through the other
messages now.

Cheers!

Steve