[c-nsp] Using L3 switches as CPE

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Thu Mar 25 12:02:08 EDT 2010

Steve,

One thing to be careful with switches in Ethernet circuits is sub-rate
link QOS.
If the circuit you get/provide is an Ethernet link but the end to end
service is a lower rate (for example 300Mbps service over 1G etc), then
you need to apply egress shaping on the CPE before forwarding packets to
the link, or else you would get drops due to policing performed along
the line. This would drop packets randomly and would not allow you to
provide QOS policies etc.

For this kind of deployments (where shaping is needed) you would most
likely need a router as a CPE, but can also take a look at the ME-3400
switch, which has these capabilities and is positioned as a MetroE
CPE...

Arie