[c-nsp] Problem with Microsoft NLB on Server 2008 running in Multicast mode

Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr youssef at 720.fr
Fri Mar 26 11:03:30 EDT 2010

Hello Community,

I have client that suffers from the same symptoms. My config looks
approximatly the same :

I have two 6k5 configured with an SVI + HSRP, two static IP routes pointing
two the clients' equipments (a cluster of firewalls of some kind).

The client is hosting an IBM blade center and uses it to sell virtualized
work environnments on Windows.

I have been debuging this him for hours, each time, the symptoms (loss of
connectivity, delays, etc.) show up when we decide to ping a VM.

All the other pings respond well until we enter his LAN on the other side of
his boxes.

I over-heard him with his team saying that Microsoft NLB might be the
problem.

John, did KB960916 solve your problems ?

Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards.

Y.

2010/3/26 Tim Durack <tdurack at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists
> <lists at hojmark.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:52:07 +0100, you wrote:
> >

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a07203.shtml
> >
> > Yeah, that's the one I was thinking off.
> >
> >> Together with the static ARP it tends to make the whole system (cluster
> >> + network) more fragile IMO. Too much manual configuration, too many
> >> normally independent parts of the solution that have to match.
> >
> > I agree, it isn't pretty.
> >
> > One could use the 'unicast' model instead, but that lives on unicast
> > flooding, so it requires very small and very controlled VLANs, and it
> > breaks with vSwitches in there.
> >
> > Or one could use a hardware loadbalancer...
>
> We've suffered through several MS-NLB clusters for the last couple of
> years. Nothing but trouble.
>
> Static arp plus disable dhcp-snooping is required. We've broken it
> several times, with vrf migrations and what not.
>
> I would strongly suggest staying away from MS-NLB.
>
> --
> Tim:>

Youssef BENGELLOUN-ZAHR ………………………………………………
Ingénieur Réseaux et Télécoms

Technopole de l'Aube  en Champagne - BP 601 - 10901 TROYES  Cedex 9
Agence Paris : 6, rue Charles Floquet - 92120 MONTROUGE
Tel                 +33 (0) 825 000 720
Tel. direct      +33 (0) 1 77 35 59 14
Tel. portable  +33 (0) 6 22 42 63 80
Email            ybz at 720.fr