[c-nsp] FW: Overruns

Emanuel Popa emanuel.popa at gmail.com
Wed May 5 06:05:42 EDT 2010

Sorry. I'm not very familiar with that kind of linecards. Only using
LAN cards 67xx with DFC modules.

However, when we encountered overruns we had 2 options:

1. easy one: enable "fabric clear-block"; this will get rid of
overruns but will drop packets in fabric which is gonna be harder to
detect; the fabric is only going to internally prioritize CoS 5 with
older IOS versions; with newer versions might be another story; never
tested though

2. more difficult: "ingress queuing" is necessary to overrun only
packets you afford to drop, but can be done only with CoS and 802.1q
configured on your ether-channels

Anyways, is there any congestion at the egress in your router that is
causing the overruns in the first place? Or is this a different
problem than what we experienced?

Regards,
Manu