[c-nsp] "Error: Write byte status" SP error on 6500?

Rob Shakir rjs at eng.gxn.net
Sun May 9 14:51:43 EDT 2010

On 9 May 2010, at 18:31, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just got this log message from the SP of a 6500/Sup720:
>
> May  9 18:45:28.308 CEST: SP: %Error: write byte status 0xA5
>
> Anybody know what that is? The only references I could find was
> regarding some ROMMON upgrades; this is from a running box with ~1 year
> uptime. It's running 12.2(33)SXI1.

We had something similar a while back, I progressed it via TAC and it was matched to CSCsi68355, this was only on standby SUPs in 12.2(33)SXH I believe.

The TAC engineer expanded on the (minimal) bug notes with:

"It is a cosmetic issue. It occurs when OBFL application tries to write
flash sectors without erasing them."

where OBFL == on-board failure logging.

There did not seem to be any specific process that we could trace this to - but it was being examined internally. It wasn't high enough priority for me to progress any further.

Sounds similar enough to your issue that it might explain it.

HTH,
Rob

--
Rob Shakir                      <rjs at eng.gxn.net>
Network Development Engineer    GX Networks/Vialtus Solutions

This email is subject to: http://www.vialtus.com/disclaimer.html