[c-nsp] OIR on 7600s: Pretty much evil?

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 20:09:02 EST 2010

Good ole' "On Insert: Reload". Yeah the bus stalls are priceless, you're
best bet is to plan like you're taking down the router, and if it works, hey
you just saved some downtime, and are done early. That being said, at least
the actual crashes aren't terribly common, so you can do low risk stuff
without to much fear as long as there's redundancy. VRRP is a godsend for
those that do actual maintenance / changes to their network on a regular
basis.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to take down a router by just being to
slow with the insert or removal, since its multiphase. I've had more issues
from that alone from certian technicians, than actual card or software bugs.

Once those contact pins touch on insert, or are broken on removal, you have
very little time to complete the move before processes freak out over the
bus stall, due to how the router protects itself, amusingly enough, from
more issues stemming from data corruption.

-Blake