[c-nsp] Unstable IOS Version for LNS on Cisco 7206 NPE-G2

Kevin Graham kgraham at industrial-marshmallow.com
Thu Nov 11 20:12:55 EST 2010

> Rather than speculate, do you have an actual example of a
> crash that  IOS reported as 'SegV exception' that was caused

> by failed hardware?

Yes, I've had a failing VAM manifest itself with SegV crashes.
Eventually it died completely and wasn't recognized on boot;
once replaced, router was stable as-is.

Ken's right on, there are some classes of hardware faults,
namely feeding corrupted data into the system in-between
validation points that could cause a software-triggered SegV
crash.

Hosing a pointer most commonly would be a software error, but
hardware can absolutely contribute.