[c-nsp] Unstable IOS Version for LNS on Cisco 7206 NPE-G2

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 12 06:17:22 EST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:55:23AM -0800, Eninja wrote:
> Either way, I'd hate to bust your bubble and this is the last time I'll say this, SegV exceptions in IOS are always caused by software bugs.

You don't seem to understand anything about hardware failure modes.

If you have a bad RAM that will change a pointer value for you *without*
triggering a RAM parity error (because it's on a platform that has no
ECC/parity, like 'early 7200 NPEs'), and the software uses that pointer,
and accesses a bad memory location *because the RAM corrupted the pointer*,
how can the resulting SegV be "always a software bug"?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de