[c-nsp] Are multicast MAC addresses allowed in the source field?

Tomas Daniska Tomas.Daniska at soitron.com
Mon Nov 15 08:02:32 EST 2010

correct me if I'm wrong - but I always thought a loadbalancer does *not* duplicate traffic...

... at least none of those I have managed to deploy

> single point of failure. This use was not foreseen in RFC 1812, which is

and a switch is not? ;-)

(yes, you can have two - but then you can have two LB's in a cluster...)

> hardly surprising; many other features which we take for granted today
> were not foreseen back then. The only problem is that no one bothered to

I still believe that resolving application resiliency in the data path is just a big fail. Session establishment mechanisms should take care of, natively. Unfortunately, not all (and none of those widespread, such as http) do.

> get RFC 1812 updated -- an obvious job for e.g. Stonesoft or Check
> Point.

well maybe, but then don't let users blame Cisco for not supporting those since the vendors did not define a standard for such a behaviour.

--

deejay