[c-nsp] GLC-LH-SM vs SFP-GE-L

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Nov 16 13:09:27 EST 2010

On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 06:47:15 pm Nick Hilliard
wrote:

> Last time i tried, an NPE-G2 refused to accept a
> GLC-SX-MM.  You can imagine that this was surprising, to
> say the least.  I will not repeat the sentiments or
> language that were expressed by the individuals involved
> at the time, but let's just say that it was considered
> Deeply Unhelpful that Cisco commodity hardware was not
> compatible with, uh, other cisco commodity hardware.
>
> This is a software version dependent, and that GLC-SX-MM
> transceivers will work on an NPE-G2, if you have the
> right software.

We *have* it working on a 7201 running SRE2. Admittedly,
this is the first time we've tried it. We have a number of
NPE-G2's that are using proper SFP-GE-* modules.

I'd imagine, though, that for all intents and purposes, the
7201 and NPE-G2 are not terribly different. Or are they?
Next time I'm in the office where we have these nodes, I'll
certainly see about giving them a try.

Mark.