[c-nsp] Alternatives to 3750 w/ Stackwise?

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Nov 26 11:57:23 EST 2010

On 11/26/2010 10:44 AM, Keegan Holley wrote:
> The 3750X being the obvious choice, the only alternative I can think is the
> juniper EX4200 series.  The junipers perform slightly better if you're
> willing to go multivendor, but I think the cisco beats it in price.

stacked 3750s give you "failover L3 SVIs" by design (provided your
uplinks are cross-chassis etherchannel) without the
overhead/complications of HSRP, but they are pricey.

With the 3750X series, if you stack "more than two" in a real routed
(IPServices) stack, the other members must be at least IPBase.  They do
have a LANbase model that is essentially layer-2 only, but bear in mind
(we learned the hard way) that it will NOT stack with the other license
models of the 3750/3750E/3750X (it is essentially ignored).

Jeff